From Kenora Ontario’s Lake of the Woods Brewing Company comes their “Firehouse Amber Ale” oddly enough classed and English Nut Brown Ale on their website. Not sure what is going on with the name on this one. The beer pours a deep amber colour with a brownish head. The aroma consists of roasty malts, sweet toffee, caramel and some nuttiness. The flavour is of roasted malts, smoke, caramel, toffee, nuts and a mild bitter finish. The alcohol content comes in at a nice 4.8% with an IBU of 28. This is a nice easy drinking ale even if it doesn’t know what it is.
Commercial Description: Our Firehouse Amber is sweet and malty on the pallet. Infused with nutty, toffee like characteristics. You won’t want to rush through this well-balanced, slightly spicy and caramelized amber ale.
History Behind name: “IT WOULD ONLY MAKE SENSE FOR US TO DEDICATE THE NAME OF OUR FLAGSHIP ENGLISH NUT BROWN TO OUR BREWERY LOCATION IN KENORA’S HISTORIC FIRE HALL (BUILT IN 1912) and to the courageous local firefighters (past and present) that have served our community. Prior to having a fire hall or a fire department in the area, a roaring fire tore through the streets of Kenora burning down most everything in its path and leaving very few businesses and homes standing. The town was devastated and the local outcry resulted in the formation of a volunteer fire department and the first Kenora fire hall located on Main Street. The next few years were filled with tragic irony as the original fire hall burned down in 1889 and then the second in 1891. The third fire hall, this time made of stone, was built on the current site of the Kenora Public Library. It also burned to the ground. Over the next year, Fire Chief F.A. Hudson oversaw the design and construction of a new state of the art fire hall, the current site of Lake of the Woods Brewing Company. The new hall, made of brick and stone, was said to be “…as near to perfection as possible.” The Kenora Fire Department used this Second Avenue fire hall from its opening in 1913 until 2010, when the Department moved to its new 14th Street North location. Thank you to LOW Museum for providing the historical facts for this story. To learn more please contact the Museum at http://www.lakeofthewoodsmuseum.ca/”